Re: What are invisible frames for?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: What are invisible frames for?
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 08:31:35 -0400

> In src/frame.c, the notion of an @dfn{invisible frame} is implemented.
> On a GUI, when a frame is in this invisible state, it appears to be
> completely inaccessible to the user - it doesn't appear anywhere on the
> GUI, there appear to be no commands to access it, and so on.  Only a
> Lisp form can do anything with it, like making it visible again.
>
> What is this facility used for?

I don't know what was it's original intention, but I know it's used in
`server-select-display` (via the frame property `visibility`) to create
a dummy frame that lets us "select a display" without having to select
any of its "real" frames (because it doesn't have any yet).

I have the impression that I've used it elsewhere in a similar "hackish"
way but can neither remember where nor why.  And maybe I'm just misremembering.

        Stefan