Re: icomplete-vertical above prompt

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: icomplete-vertical above prompt
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 23:02:25 +0000

Regardless of the value of icomplete-vertical-mode-above-prompt, in both cases it jumps once, and that's the problem for users who don't like such jumps, even once.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. How could you display completion candidates without moving the modeline? I suppose what you have in mind is posframes? But posframes are a completely different beast, and don't work in terminals AFAIK.

For that matter, I also don't understand why users "don't like such jumps even once". The point is to make some room to display some information, the same happens in many cases, like when *Completions* is opened, or with popular packages such as Magit or which-key.

Also if the number of completions is less than the default 10, then a lot of empty lines separate completions from the minibuffer.

That could be tweaked, perhaps.  But I'm not sure it's worth the price.