Re: Simple isearch concerns

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Simple isearch concerns
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 08:49:09 +0000

That's your personal preference wrt how much of the context should be left on the screen; it is well known that there are other preferences regarding this aspect. Gregory's code provides the default Emacs experience of recentering, so it is the right default. If we want to cater to other preferences, we need to make the 1st argument to recenter depend on scroll-related options, or maybe introduce a new user option.

By popular demand, here is the patch, updated with a new option 'isearch-motion-recenter', which defaults to t.

(Note that you should wait to push it until my paperwork has been processed by the FSF, I wasn't aware of that subtlety.)