Re: [ELPA] New package: vertico

From: Daniel Mendler
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: vertico
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 12:14:47 +0200

On 4/10/21 12:00 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Okay, thanks for clarifying. In Vertico I try hard to avoid modifying
existing functions. I am sure this issue could be fixed by adjusting the
`minibuffer-message` function with an advice such that it adds a cursor
property. Note that Icomplete also does not make these adjustments, so
maybe there is something else.

minibuffer-message already does what I described, so I wonder why this
doesn't work in your case.  I suggest to step through the code and
compare with the default use in "emacs -Q".  If you cannot figure it
out, submit a bug report with a reproduction recipe in "emacs -Q", and
someone will look into it.

Ah okay, I see. Then it makes sense to investigate this more thoroughly.

I think both Tassilo and I agreed that in the context we are discussing
(vertico+aggressive-completion), the messages are less important and can
be happily disabled, making this a non-issue/low-priority issue.

It's up to you; I just wanted to try helping where I can.

Sure, I appreciate it. Thank you!

I don't know if Icomplete has similar problems with the minibuffer-messages, so maybe it has already been figured out there. Icomplete uses a single overlay for all minibuffers, which does not seem like a good idea given recursive minibuffers (In Vertico I try to isolate the state of every minibuffer session). But there is something else I wonder about - Icomplete installs a pre-command-hook, which removes the overlay and a post-command-hook which puts it back.

Daniel Mendler