Re: Using more and/or better icons in Emacs

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Using more and/or better icons in Emacs
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 07:22:05 -0500

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> My Emacs already shows nice icons in the toolbar, though, thanks to GTK3
> theme integration. And weren't we talking about removing the toolbar?

Yes, removing it would be better.

But while it is still there we could at least make it look better.

> You have my support for replacing the default set, of course.

Thanks.

>> True.  all-the-icons.el has some links to other freely licensed sets.
>> Could one of them be a suitable replacement?
>
> To be clear, I'm using SVG icons there in the video. And I think the
> discussions around emacs-devel showed certain rejection of the ideal of
> using of fonts for icons.

all-the-icons.el does distribute TTF fonts, but IIUC that's simply
packaged up versions of free sets that were originally distributed in
SVG.

So what I meant was that we could look at what sets they are linking to,
get the original SVG files and then use those.  That's what I did for
the Material icon toolbar mock-up.