Re: [External] : Re: Improvement proposals for `completing-read'

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Improvement proposals for `completing-read'
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 03:03:47 +0300

On 09.04.2021 01:37, Stefan Kangas wrote:
Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

Ephemeral appearance changes could be good enough. Or icons, like on the
attached video.

We could probably make good use of icons in several places in Emacs.

It would be nice to have a set of general purpose icons available in ELPA, or ever in the core. For this and other purposes.

For now I'm using vscode's ones (under CC BY 4.0), but I'm guessing it won't be good for Emacs's image to migrate to that wholesale.

They look really good in that video, FWIW, and they immediately convey
meaning in a way that you simply can't reproduce with mere coloring.

BTW, what do you use to get those icons?  Are they available OOTB in
company-mode?

Yes, in the development version. Though disabled by default, for now.

company-format-margin-function is the relevant variable.

You also need a fairly recent Emacs built from master, for elisp-completion-at-point integration. With SVG support enabled, too.