Re: [feature/internal-msys] thoughts of a more function windows package

From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev
Subject: Re: [feature/internal-msys] thoughts of a more function windows package
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2021 14:34:42 +0300

Sorry for late reply, but I think that while bundling msys2 is a good idea in theory, in practice it would turn into a complete nightmare. The problem, just like with bundling any third party components is that you have to maintain them. If you bundle the latest and shiniest msys2, you can never be sure if it's really properly working for our use cases. And if you bundle some pretested version, you run into "hey, please fix bug A, the upstream has already fixed it", but we can't switch to upstream due to bug B.

Msys2 sort of missed the boat in that they took pacman, but didn't bother with making their own AUR.