Re: C-x o is moving between frames. [Was: Stop frames stealing eachothe

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: C-x o is moving between frames. [Was: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!]
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2020 14:40:52 -0400

> At the moment, when I create a setup with three frames, exactly one of
> which is a "normal" frame with minibuffer, my C-x o can be made wrongly
> to cycle between all three frames.

Depending on what you need to do before this can happen, I wouldn't
necessarily worry about this particular issue too much because "the
right behavior" is very hard (if not impossible) to define precisely in
such a way that it makes sense in all cases.

FWIW, I still haven't found anyone using a setup like the one
you describe.  The ones I know are:

- one minibuffer-only frame and all other frames a minibuffer-less;
  At least "per terminal": there can also be at the same time a normal
  tty frame (with minibuffer and all), or a second X11 display with its
  own minibuffer-only frame, ...
- all normal frames, except potentially a few very special minibuffer-less
  frames used for very special purposes (behaving more like things like
  tooltips, or tool bars or ...).

> It is bugs like this I must fix, and my feeling at the moment is that
> there will be more than just that one.

If you can reproduce the problem without your patch, then I hope you
won't count it as a bug, otherwise it'll never end.

        Stefan