Re: TODO: after clients disconnected

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: TODO: after clients disconnected
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 17:42:21 +0300

* Qiantan Hong <qhong@mit.edu> [2020-10-23 15:11]:

> > However, as client I have not disconnected, I killed all buffers.
> >
> > After killing the last buffer, would it be logical to ask client if
> > session should be disconnected?
>
> I'm not sure. Also what about server? Suppose we ask if session
> should be disconnected for client, should we do the same thing
> for the server?

I would not.

I think it should never be for server. If there are no people, that
does not mean they will not come.

1. Server starts. There is question if only server would be able to
save the file. I am just thinking that you should maybe give
possibility to clients to save the file on the server, not only on
their side.

- another thought is that file should be under version control or
backup system, as not to lose files.

2. Clients connect, first, second, third. What if there are 10
clients? But third connected, third disconnected. Server should not be
asked anything. It should even be able to leave server running in a
screen/tmus session unattended. It should act as server. Server
operator maybe need not even be there to attend computer.

Maybe some clients could be issued administrative power by the server,
so that client can save the file on server or similar.

3. Disconnecting session or assuming that it should disconnect may
drive server operator to actually disconnect it, but what if other
participants are trying to connect in the same time again?

--
Jean Louis