Re: Suggest installing more fonts?

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Suggest installing more fonts?
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 20:25:37 +0300

>> I've been frustrated by this before, and I've resorted to saying "apt
>> install fonts-*' or something, which isn't really ideal, so if Emacs
>> could provide some guidance here (without us having to maintain a
>> never-ending list of fonts), I think that would be helpful.
>>
> See recent discussion in bug#43887. In order to see all symbols in
> etc/HELLO, I had to apply on Ubuntu 20.04
>
> $ sudo apt-get install fonts-noto-core

I found this package by running:

  apt-cache search viet | grep font

that outputs:

  fonts-noto-core - "No Tofu" font families with large Unicode coverage (core)

The same result is with:

  apt-cache search javanese | grep font

I have no idea why `apt-cache search` searches in package
descriptions whereas `apt search` searches only in package names.
These apt command names have no indications that
they search in different places!