Re: Suggest installing more fonts?

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Suggest installing more fonts?
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 04:58:08 -0700

> However, I don't know whether we want to recommend Google Noto fonts
> <https://www.google.com/get/noto/>. They use the Open Font License 1.1
> <https://github.com/googlefonts/noto-fonts/>, but I don't know whether
> this license counts as free.

The full name of its license is SIL Open Font License 1.1, and:

"The Open Font License (including its original release, version 1.0)
is a free copyleft license for fonts. Its only unusual requirement
is that when selling the font, you must redistribute it bundled with
some software, rather than alone. Since a simple Hello World program
will satisfy the requirement, it is harmless. Neither we nor SIL
recommend the use of this license for anything other than fonts."

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#SILOFL