Re: EWW: Render span tags with spaces aroun them?

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: EWW: Render span tags with spaces aroun them?
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 16:57:57 +1100

I agree. Adding spaces for span elements will change the semantics and likely affect other rendering in a negative way. For example, sometimes you may use span to style just part of some text or it could affect layout of things like icons etc. I note that neither chrome or firefox add spaces and will just run the text into the previous/next word if there is no space around the tag.

Having said that, I notice when looking at the example page you posted, there is no text running into previous/next text around span tags. This makes me think that the page is using a CSS style to style the element which is not honoured by eww/shr? I had a quick look, but it really is a very ugly piece of HTML.  At any rate, perhaps the issue is not that span elements should have spaces added, but that eww/shr is not able to add the CSS style which adds the spacing to the span content?

On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 at 15:54, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> But the user visible breakage is that things get run together and the
> easiest fix might be to ensure that span tags when rendered are
> surrounded by spaces

The <span> rendering shouldn't have any extra spaces -- that's not what
the element was designed for, and will make many texts unreadable.

regards,

Tim

--
Tim Cross