RE: Where to show message output while inputting [was: New multi-command

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: RE: Where to show message output while inputting [was: New multi-command facility displays in the wrong echo area]
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 20:59:17 +0000

The same problem will exist if you move output (`message' echoes) to the mode-line: you won't be able to see the mode-line info and the message at the same time.

That's obviously a problem that will exist in any possible solution to that problem: the message will hide something.

Not if the area used for echoes (output) is separate from the area used for the minibuffer (prompt and input).

I meant: it will hide something on screen. For example with a conventional pop-up it would hide a part of a buffer.

But we need not overwrite - or displace at all, if we show the output in its own area - at least when there would otherwise be a conflict with the minibuffer/echo area. I mentioned "popping up" such an output area as needed.

Yes, that's the idea of temporariy adding a "zeroth" / "minusoneth" line to the miniwindow in which the message would be shown. But it will still hide something, namely another line in that frame.

Shifting existing stuff around could be distracting or annoying for some users.

It's what eldoc already does for a similar situation, and I haven't seen complaints about this. IMO it's elegant to solve that problem in that way.

BTW, if you don't shift the contents of the mode-line, you shift the contents of the buffer(s) above the mode-line. Which could also be distracting or annoying, because such a shift could imply a temporary recentering of these buffers in their windows, when point is on their last line.