Re: Rethinking the design of xwidgets

From: Qiantan Hong
Subject: Re: Rethinking the design of xwidgets
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 17:24:20 +0000

> For example when generating plots using matplotlib, they are simply embedded
> in the buffer as an image, however matplotlib also has support for
> interactive backends [2] which allow one to zoom and pan the plot and see it
> update in real time as each plot command is issued. It would be convenient to
> have such interactivity directly inside the buffer rather than having to use
> an external window, similar to the interactivity offered when using
> matplotlib in a jupyter notebook. The bokeh plotting [3] library provides
> even more interactivity, allowing one to create complex and dynamic and
> interactive visualizations.
Isn’t it possible to use the 'keymap text/overlay property on the image to do
what you described? At least for zooming or
moving around view port, I think you can create some simple +/-/C-npfb bindings
for the image and send the command to the backend.
Or write a lisp package for any more complex interaction.