Re: Include leaf in Emacs distribution

From: Naoya Yamashita
Subject: Re: Include leaf in Emacs distribution
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2020 17:39:35 +0900 (JST)

> > FWIW, I find the name of the package, 'leaf', to be unintuitive.  Can
> > we please have a better name, like load-package or activate-package or
> > something like that?
>
> Hear, hear!

A leaf represents a set of settings, not necessarily a package
unit.  It look at Emacs settings from a different perspective
from use-package's one as a package philosophy.

As the name implies, use-package expresses a package's
configuration in a single use-package macro.  So jweigley who is
the use-package author expects one use-package per package, and
they are all written at the top level with no nesting[1].  And
the keywordless use-package will be converted into a `require`
statement using the first argument.

On the other hand, what the leaf manages is a "block of
configuration". Therefore, leaf without the keyword will be
converted to `prog1`.  And because it is a configuration block, a
package configuration can be described in multiple leaves instead
of one leaf.  Also, while jweigley expects use-package to be
written without nesting, I expect the leaf statements to be
nested according to the context.

What I envisioned when I started the project was a picture of
each individual setting mass, each leaf, doing its part to make
up a whole, a big tree.  Because I envisioned multiple leaves for
a single package in this way, I came up with the package name
"leaf" instead of "package".

[1]: https://github.com/jwiegley/use-package/issues/453#issuecomment-347750736