Re: master 5ec2115: Use '…' for ellipsis in truncate-string-to-width by

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master 5ec2115: Use '…' for ellipsis in truncate-string-to-width by default (bug#41250)
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2020 11:54:59 -0400

> That "…" char is pretty useless, in general.
> Its appearance has nothing in common with that
> of a real ellipsis, at least when a fixed-width
> font is used.

FWIW, I've been using "…" for that ellipsis for a long time now, and
I use a fixed-width font (misc-fixed-semicondensed) pretty
much everywhere.  So obviously my opinion disagrees with yours.

I did end up using "……" at a few places (mostly for the
outline-minor-mode ellipses), tho, because while I find "..." too long,
"…" ended up a bit too short for my taste in that case.

For `truncate-string-to-width` (which is also used to truncate elements
which are significantly shorter than a line's width (contrary to the
outline-minor-mode ellipses) typically in multi-column tabular data),
I found the extra 2 chars very welcome.

        Stefan