RE: master 5ec2115: Use '…' for ellipsis in truncate-string-to-width by

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: master 5ec2115: Use '…' for ellipsis in truncate-string-to-width by default (bug#41250)
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 08:36:17 -0700 (PDT)

> The problem is that the source file mule-util.el can't use the Unicode
> character '…'.  Please see
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://debbugs.gnu.org/41250__;!!GqivPVa7Brio!Myw
> 9NLEyEGq9q15InHIL4DosZcvKPlrhRBDjGAthnl2obqktBvxncP_YLpQWXegw$  for the
> discussion.

FWIW, in that bug (#41250) thread, I expressed
the opinion about the ellipsis that we should
use "..." and not "…", which is not so readable.

The ellipsis is used to indicate truncation.
By using "..." we include two more chars, but
it suffices to truncate two additional chars,
to end with the same width of text.  (And users
can control the max width by an option.)

https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=41250#144

That opinion was ignored, and instead hoops were
jumped through to try to use "…".  IMO, not only
is it not worth trying to do that, the result,
if successful, is worse.

That "…" char is pretty useless, in general.
Its appearance has nothing in common with that
of a real ellipsis, at least when a fixed-width
font is used.