Re: Request: Specification For Denoting Keys

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Request: Specification For Denoting Keys
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2020 11:10:52 -0400

> thx. Because kbd traces back to reading in recorded kbd macros, it
> does more than what a function that you use in defining keys need to
> do -- look at edmacro-parse-keys to see what I mean by the above. For
> instance, kbd handles things like M-x command-name  that might  have
> been invoked while defining or recording a macro.

Indeed, that's a historical accident.

First came the `edmacro` package and then people started (ab)using its
`read-kbd-macro` function for the more simple task of parsing
a slightly more human-friendly textual representation of keys sequences
than what you get by just using the "raw event vector".

Nobody took on the task of separating the two, so that's that.

        Stefan