Re: Standardizing more key bindings?

From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev
Subject: Re: Standardizing more key bindings?
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 15:53:22 +0300

Hi.

So I'm one of those people who loves to torture his muscle memory and I've tried most of the major variations of Emacs keybinding systems over the years, this being the vanilla, Evil(Spacemacs) and ErgoEmacs.

This led me to thinking that maybe Emacs actually needs a separate intermediate level of abstraction for keybinding customization. And the solution that came to my head is something akin to Clojure's protocols. The problem is that there are cases where we have multiple interconnected keybindings, the most simple example being cut-copy-paste. Lets say we have a cut-copy-paste protocol and the default keybinding implementation of it that's shipped with Emacs. Then the CUA-mode becomes an alternative keybinding implementation of that protocol. Same thing with comint. As such, a package developers would be able to define that their package uses this and that protocol and then they'll automatically get the bindings. And the keybinding system developers can just provide alternative bindings for existing protocols and their job will be done, in the ideal world of course. This way we'll accomplish keybinding polymorphism.

Anyway, just presenting probably the most over-engineered solution to this problem.

--
Best Regards,
Nikolay Kudryavtsev