Re: How to make Emacs popular again.

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs popular again.
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 00:10:25 +0300

On 27.09.2020 20:31, Bob Newell wrote:

In your long posting with many ideas about making Emacs
beginner friendly, there is much to consider, and I must say
right at the start that easing the Emacs learning experience
is a worthy goal.

It does raise the question: how did the current Emacs users
learn Emacs? I can't speak for anyone else but I don't know
that my own experiences are in any way unique. I learned first
from the tutorial, then from some of the manuals, then by doing
and experimenting and reading more of the manuals, and trial
and error.

I don't remember too much, but:

- I went through the manual a few times. Was also puzzled why the trivial functionality (exotic bindings for regular editing commands) needs several pages of instruction, and why the tutorial tells very little about things that would make Emacs more useful than Nano/Notepad/etc. After that, I avoided the "Emacs" bindings anyway for a couple of years by using cua-mode, arrow keys, etc (not sure in which exact order), then eventually migrated to the default bindings except for 'undo'.

- I started not with the default configuration but with the "starter kit" by Phil Hagelberg. Its latest iteration lives at https://git.sr.ht/~technomancy/better-defaults. Check out the rationale in the description, too (it's pretty accurate).

We can never forget something critically important: Emacs is a
very sophisticated, very powerful tool, and like all such
tools, it takes effort and dedication to learn. (Even lesser
tools, like office suites, take effort to learn, if perhaps in
lesser amounts.)

While we can and should do all we can to make the road
smoother--- short of turning Emacs into something completely
different and so overwhelmed with tooltips, popups, and other
"help" that it becomes unpleasant or even unusable--- let's
face it, Emacs is never going to be "easy."

I don't think it become too similar to VS Code (and friends) by default anytime soon.

But at least it could start giving off a more "polished" impression, both in the UI and the introduction documentation. So that, even to an uninitiated person (but someone with a compatible mindset, perhaps) it would look like a worthy investment of their time.

Things are, in fact, very much easier now than when I started
with Emacs decades ago. Today, there is a wealth of on-line
information, with tutorials, how-tos, discussions, code
samples, and help readily available to anyone who asks
politely.

That is true.