Re: Opening Up More Keymaps Re: Standardizing more key bindings?

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Opening Up More Keymaps Re: Standardizing more key bindings?
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2020 14:38:12 +0200

This thread is totally sacrilegious.. changing C-z to something really
useful?! Heresy in the Emacs church!... I am totally in favor!!!

For the fist step (release C-z)

I see 2 main proposals:
C-x C-z : which is already there

C-z C-z : which will not fight with the user's muscular memory (as we
repeat commands when they don't work the first time). But will require
to be careful with what other commands we add later in the C-z map.

At this point I would say (as a terminal exclusive user) that I don't
care any of those because I already use C-z C-z for that since the
beginning. (Actually C-z C-z C-z because I have tmux prefix also in
C-z).

For new users they have more C-z as undo in their muscular memory... so
I have experienced that they get very confused when C-z makes the window
disappear or closes emacs. Some of them think that emacs just failed and
open a new one.

At this point one of the admins should make a decision and do the change
because there will be not more agreement than this (I think that this is
the higher democratic limit ever reached in an agreement about a
changing default binding here.)

About F2 I don't really think will bother many people as there is an
alternative `C-x 6` since ever.

So please, admins, Close this with a decision from your side and we can
continue with something else. (Otherwise this will be forgotten in few
days)

Best,
Ergus