Re: About implementing libre.js/el in Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: About implementing libre.js/el in Emacs
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 23:24:56 -0400

  > I highly agree with that, however currently numerous browser extensions
  > are already implemented completely in Javascript, including LibreJS.

That is true, but it is secondary.  There are things bigger and deeper
at stake here: keeping Emacs fundamentally clean, and avoiding the
extremely unwise practice of running programs right off other people's
web sites.

  > Maybe another option is to have the other way around, implement
  > a JavaScript to Elisp translator, and support Emacs Lisp version of
  > those web extension APIs. Then we can run the translator on librejs
  > to get librejs.el as a starting point.

Ideally this would operate on Javascript source code only, and would
generate something that would not actually be ready to run, but would
be a starting point for writing a real Emacs Lisp program.

That way, people would not tempted to run compiled (*) Javascript programs
straight off web pages.

* Obfuscating or compacting Javascript is a form of compilation, for
  these purposes.

--
Dr Richard Stallman