Re: About implementing libre.js/el in Emacs

From: Qiantan Hong
Subject: Re: About implementing libre.js/el in Emacs
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 04:13:58 +0000

>> Option 1, besides enabling libre.js, can also bring numerous existing
>> cross-browser extensions to Emacs, if we finally support a large enough
>> portion of the Web Extension API. However those extensions are
>> all written in JS and JS is worse than Elisp.
>
> This is a bad idea, at the deepest level, because it means supporting
> Emacs extensibility in two separate ways, with separate
> implementations.  That would make Emacs far more complex.
>
> We should not support Emacs extensibility in Javascript.

I highly agree with that, however currently numerous browser extensions
are already implemented completely in Javascript, including LibreJS.

Maybe another option is to have the other way around, implement
a JavaScript to Elisp translator, and support Emacs Lisp version of
those web extension APIs. Then we can run the translator on librejs
to get librejs.el as a starting point.