Re: Disambiguate modeline character for UTF-8?

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: Disambiguate modeline character for UTF-8?
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 13:17:12 +0200

>> The smallest change to achieve this would be to change both utf-16 and
>> utf-7 from "U" to "u" (and koi8-u to "Y").

> The letter Y has nothing in common with Ukraine (country) and
> Ukrainian (language). Pretty much everyone who might be looking at a
> file encoded in koi8-u will have fonts with Cyrillic coverage so using
> the Cyrillic letter У should be better.

I asked a fellow Gentoo developer from Ukraine, and he confirms that
using Y for koi8-u would be "strange". He also made the suggestion to
use K for all koi8*, even if it would collide with Korean. It should be
obvious from the buffer's content if it's (e.g.) Russian or Korean, so
there isn't any real ambiguity.

Interestingly, the following comment (by RMS) in cyrillic.el goes into
the same direction:

  ;; We used to use ?K.  It is true that ?K is more strictly correct,
  ;; but it is also used for Korean.  So people who use koi8 for
  ;; languages other than Russian will have to forgive us.