RE: Disambiguate modeline character for UTF-8?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Disambiguate modeline character for UTF-8?
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 07:36:54 -0700 (PDT)

> The smallest change to achieve this would be to change both utf-16 and
> utf-7 from "U" to "u" (and koi8-u to "Y").

Not really wanting to get into this particular
bike-shed discussion, as I don't care about it
and don't have a suggestion of what indicators
to use.

I'll just say this, as some have suggested that
one main thing they want is to be able to easily
and quickly tell whether the encoding is NOT
utf-8 (and not ASCII, presumably):

The characters "u" and "U" are not so easily
distinguished.  You might want to pick some
other, quite different looking, character for
the non-UTF-8 (i.e., UTF-16 etc.).