Re: Delete variables obsolete since Emacs 23

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Delete variables obsolete since Emacs 23
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 09:39:56 -0400

> In that case, would a two-step process not be better?  First declaring the
> function "obsolete", and when it is known that it will be removed declare
> it "pending-removal" with a target major version.

I'm not sure it would make much difference to the speed at which people
move away from using the obsolete feature (which is really all that
matters, in the end).

Another approach I toyed with is to change the `make-obsolete*`
functions so that they actually *remove* the obsolete feature when used
in development builds (i.e. builds with version XXX.0.50).
Just like that it's a bit blunt, so it'd have to come with some knobs so
the user can ask to disable this for some particular
funs/vars, and also so it's only applied when the fun/var has been
obsolete for at least 1 (or maybe 2) versions.

        Stefan