Re: Delete variables obsolete since Emacs 23

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Delete variables obsolete since Emacs 23
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 21:00:31 +0000

so as to not annoy those who don't, or can't easily, work around its absence.

If there's no intention to remove it in the future, then we don't declare it obsolete.

I think the discussion is too broad. It depends on what is declared obsolete.

If it's a whole package, or a complex function, declaring that it is obsolete means that it won't be developed or supported in the future, and that because of this it might become non-functional at some point because the conditions it assumes will not hold anymore. At that moment there is a good reason to remove it: it does not work anymore.

If on the contrary it's a function as trivial as

(defun interactive-p () (called-interactively-p 'interactive))

then declaring that it is obsolete means that new code should preferably use the new style. But there is no reason to remove it.

Gregory