Re: Making GNUS continue to work with Gmail

From: Cesar Crusius
Subject: Re: Making GNUS continue to work with Gmail
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 10:39:58 -0700

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>
>>> Yeah, we could just use that and tell the users to "just" register their
>>> own developer accounts at Google and then put the keys somewhere.  It's
>>> a really really horrid experience to go through, though, and Google will
>>> sic an API compliancy review at the users at random.
>>
>> What's about the approach recommended by a mutt user
>>
>> https://luxing.im/mutt-integration-with-gmail-using-oauth/
>>
>> Could that somehow be used for Gnus?
>
> That's the approach you quoted me describing.  :-)

... and the approach _already implemented_ by auth-source-xoauth2, which works
for Gnus and anything else using auth-source in Emacs:

https://github.com/ccrusius/auth-source-xoauth2

(There is some hackery involved in `auth-source-xoauth2-enable` in order to
make the protocol work for IMAP/SMTP.)

It looks like this approach keeps popping up as a "possible solution," so I'll
just point out again that this is _already implemented_ in the package above,
and is being used by various people to make Gnus work with Gmail and XOAuth2.
The discussion here is about how to _avoid_ having to do that.

--
Cesar Crusius