Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 20:24:39 -0500

On 28 May 2020, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> This seems like a reasonable solution to me. Alternatively perhaps we
>> just need to sell C-x C-f as "open a file or directory" rather than
>> "find a file"?
>
>A directory *is* a file.

Not in a sense that's meaningful to most non-programmers.  Even many
programmers don't naturally conceptualize directories as files -- especially
those who have learned programming in the WWW era, since they haven't had to do
much programming in which file<->directory unity matters.

If explanations of Emacs features start to depend on people having filesystem
programming experience, that will narrow Emacs' audience quite a bit more than
necessary :-).

Best regards,
-Karl