Re: Support text-shadow on for Emacs face

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Support text-shadow on for Emacs face
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 00:34:51 -0400

  > I can contact the author of this patch, he doesn't have progress
  > on supporting Linux. I'm thinking whether Emacs-dev team can
  > implement this feature by own design.

If someone wants to implement this for GNU/Linux, that would be good,
and then we could install the MacOS code for the same feature.  But I
can't implore people to write that so we could install the code for
MacOS.  MacOS support is a secondary matter.

   Or maybe considering merge this macOS support patch at first

That would be taking an unwise risk.  What if we installed that MacOS
feature, and months went by and no one wrote a similar feature for
GNU/Linux?  We would be in a bad situation, doing what we shouldn't.

We could delete that MacOS code at that point.  But that is asking
for trouble.  It is wiser to avoid getting into that situation.

That is why our policy is not to install features that work only on a
non-GNU platform.  See the node System Portability in the GNU Coding
Standards, https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/.

--
Dr Richard Stallman