Re: Support text-shadow on for Emacs face

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Support text-shadow on for Emacs face
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 16:34:47 +0300

Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 16:06:26 +0300

On 22.05.2020 15:58, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
And here's the design document, I guess:
https://github.com/ksqsf/emacsmoe/wiki/Text-Shadow
I only see macOS-specific changes there.

You mean the implementation section? Indeed. The original message in
this thread said as much.

But the text there says there should be changes in xfaces.c etc.  I
wonder how can I see those changes.

They're inside the PR, already linked to in the original message.

Here, at the bottom: https://github.com/ksqsf/emacsmoe/pull/1/files

Whether you should read it, I don't know, considering there's no copyright assignment, and someone might have to re-implement the code. But the changes are not particularly long or surprising.

"cairo text shadow" gives some results on web search, though. This one
looks the most credible:
https://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2010-September/020915.html

It's old, though, and the links inside seem to have died. Want me to
hunt them down?
Given the description, I'm not sure it's worth our while,

Perhaps you meant "patches welcome"?

but if you
can find the patches without investing too much time, it will be
appreciated.  Thanks.

There is no ready patch for Emacs for this part.

One is "how Firefox implements text-shadow". Apparently, this is how it's done these days: https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/source/gfx/thebes/gfxBlur.cpp

And the second example lives here now: https://github.com/syndicodefront/infekt/blob/master/src/lib/cairo_box_blur.cpp