Re: master f0b0105: Hoist some byte-code checking out of eval

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: master f0b0105: Hoist some byte-code checking out of eval
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 22:26:48 -0700

On 5/20/20 7:30 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

I understand, but looking at the patch and the comment message, I see
that you moved the checks from exec_byte_code to Fbyte_code and moved
duplicated *some* of the checks in make_byte_code but not all of them.

Oh, now that you mention it I do see something missing: Fbyte_code converts bytestr to unibyte whereas Fmake_byte_code merely checks that bytestr is unibyte, and I suppose it should be consistent with Fbyte_code here. I'll look into fixing that. This should matter only when dealing with Emacs 20.2-and-older bytecode strings (do we still need to worry about that?).

You wrote "*some* .. but not all", which vaguely implies that I was missing more than one check. Am I missing something else here?