Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs raison d'etre
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 00:37:24 +0300

On 18.05.2020 00:17, Stefan Monnier wrote:
I wonder how it works out in practice: I like the idea of the minibuffer
being "near point" rather than at the bottom of my screen, but at the
same time I don't like the minibuffer hiding text "near point".

It doesn't actually follows point, at least in this solution. The position is more or less fixed, albeit, if the position is in the center of the frame, it would be closer to point on average.

The idea is to rather "capture the gaze".

Another issue is that it only applies to actual minibuffer use, so it
doesn't affect Isearch nor echo-area messages, but for me a significant
part of the problem of having the minibuffer "all the way down" is that
I don't see echo messages either (i.e. it's not just the minibuffer
per-se but all uses of the mini-window).

I think that conflation of the minibuffer and the echo area is one of oldest problems in Emacs. That's not to say that we can't do anything similar for the echo area.

Someone should experiment with that as well: for instance, they could be displayed like desktop notifications. Stacked, on the right side of the screen (top or bottom). I don't have particular experience with that, "solving" the minibuffer seems more urgent.

Another idea: show the messages at the bottom of the minibuffer pop-up, on a separate line, perhaps with a different background, when the minibuffer is active. Otherwise, continue showing them at the bottom of the frame.