Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 10:28:17 +0200

Hi Richard,

>   > Before Tramp could implement automagic
>   > encoding/decoding, we would need a design in Emacs how it shall look
>   > like.
>
> I would suggest that this be part of accessing files on cloudy services.
> Anything going up gets encrypted first; anything coming down gets decrypted
> on arrival.

We cannot enable this by default. There are good reasons that people
bring their files on a "cloudy" server unencrypted, for example because
they want to share those files with other people, or they want to access
these files with other tools but Emacs. So it could be an option only,
like a new Tramp method "nextcloud-crypt" or whatever.

And it doesn't affect file copying only. You want to hide the file
names, which has effect for most of the file name operations Tramp
provides an own implementation.

> However: when people use nextcloud, are they normally using their
> own server instances?  Or normally using a server run by someone else?

Like Dieter said, both is happening. I, for example, use two local
nextcloud servers on my NAS devices in the basement, and I use also
public nextcloud servers somewhere else.

Best regards, Michael.