Re: Native compilation: the bird-eye view

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Native compilation: the bird-eye view
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 07:43:42 +0000

Ihor Radchenko <address@hidden> writes:

>> And for the "non-average" user, who builds Emacs from sources?  AFAIU,
>> native compilation of all Lisp files takes many hours even on fast
>> machines -- won't this be an annoyance if we don't come up with a JIT
>> mechanism?
>
> I am using Gentoo and thus compiling pretty much everything from source.
> According to my experience so far, compilation takes even more time than
> compiling something like chromium. Moreover, I got memory overflow (for
> 8Gb RAM) when compiling ja-dic.elc. In order to compile that file, I had
> to manually fallback to comp-speed 0.

FWIW ja-dic.elc is not anymore compiled and the overall compile time
should be reduced by a factor two since you have tried it.  Also the
memory necessary should be now around 3GB.

https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=41077#28

I hope we can optimize this number further.

Andrea

--
address@hidden