Re: Native compilation: the bird-eye view

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Native compilation: the bird-eye view
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 08:57:22 -0700

On 5/16/20 5:58 AM, Andrea Corallo wrote:
> I'd say: if the .eln is present and the suffix is not forced, this
> should be preferred to the .elc in the same way now we prefer the .elc
> to the .el.

Surely the .eln files won't be in the same directory as the .el and .elc files,
at least not on GNU/Linux platforms. On a Debian-style system, .el and .elc will
be in /usr/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/foo.elc (or foo.el.gz) whereas .eln will be in
/usr/lib/emacs/28.1/x86_64-linux-gnu/lisp/foo.eln because it's machine-dependent
and can't be shared across architectures. This will require more load on the
filesystem due to the extra directory lookups.

Also, how should site-lisp work? Currently on Debian it's under /usr/share/emacs
because it's architecture independent. Will we need two site-lisp directories
too?

Similarly for users' .emacs.d directories -- will they need a more complicated
structure, for users who run different versions of Emacs or Emacs on different
architectures with shared home directories?