Re: PL support

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: PL support
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 15:08:48 +0300

On 09.05.2020 22:49, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
Looking at TreeSitter's repository, it looks like the parser generator itself is written in Rust (which could be linked directly into Emacs), the JS-specific grammar bit is pretty small and directly translatable to elisp [1], and the output of the parser generator is a bunch of tables that could, in principle, be used directly instead of having to round-trip through a C compiler.

I guess the question is how fast this is going to work, compared to the original. Then the details of the Elisp interface. And also our ability to keep up with the grammars and TreeSitter's development (new features, api changes, etc).

Just something I have stumbled on by chance:

https://marijnhaverbeke.nl/blog/lezer.html

Lezer is a parser system that compiles to JavaScript (an interpreted language closer Emacs Lisp than C), inspired by TreeSitter but making some different tradeoffs WRT performance and memory use.

It uses its own grammars, however: https://github.com/lezer-parser/lezer/issues/7