Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 00:17:57 -0400

  >     Richard> The built-in Emacs renderer gives ok results when the links
don't matter.
  >     Richard> For links, the way it tries to follow them is useless since it
doesn't
  >     Richard> go through Tor.

  > The url library used by eww/shr supports SOCKS, and Tor can be run as
  > a SOCKS proxy.

The issue is even more complex.  There are TWO ways I visit web pages
from Emacs, neither of which is eww.  I want to be able to choose
which way to use each time.

Doing that manually is easy enough -- if I can SEE the URL in the
buffer.  So I use lynx -dump to render the HTML, and it shows the URLs
of the links at the end.  Then I can do what I want to do.

The built-in Emacs renderer (is that eww?) doesn't show me the URLs,
which means I have no way to follow those links in either of the ways
I want to use.  Therefore, I need to hide the eww rendering and render
with lynx.

I would appreciate being able to specify "use lynx -dump to render HTML
from my incoming emails."  lynx -dump instead of eww that is.

Also helpful would be a way to customize how to follow a link in eww
rendering, which would let me write Lisp code to do one or the other
of the things I want to do.  Then maybe I would like eww as much as
lynx -dump.

But I would also want to be able to grab the URL into the kill buffer.
Could eww include those URLs in the rendered text?

I would guess lynx -dump is faster too, but I don't know for
certain.

--
Dr Richard Stallman