Re: Where is the eln search path defined

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: Where is the eln search path defined
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 22:19:49 +0100

Andrea Corallo <address@hidden> writes:

> Alex Bennée <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Andrea Corallo <address@hidden> writes:

>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Hi Alex,
>>>
>>> Emacs thinks the binary is installed in '/usr/bin/' and the relative path
>>> to find the eln from there is expected to be
>>> '../lisp/eln-aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu-e59b16aa72ffe0cd/custom.eln'.
>>
>> Hmm it was configured:
>>
>>   ./configure --prefix=/home/alex/src/emacs/install \
>>               --with-x-toolkit=no --with-modules \
>>               --with-nativecomp --with-xpm=ifavailable \
>>               --with-gif=ifavailable --with-tiff=ifavailable
>
> Mmh I see.  Would be interesting if you could check the DESTDIR value
> (if any) in your build environment.

Definitely not in env:

  19:55:42 [alex@qemu-test:~/s/e/emacs.git] native-comp|✔ + env | grep DESTDIR
  19:56:31 [alex@qemu-test:~/s/e/emacs.git] native-comp|✔ 1 +

>>> I believe of the two information the first is wrong in this case.  This
>>> is coming from the DESTDIR value while compiling.  Is it possible that
>>> Emacs was compiled with a certain DESTDIR value and then installed using
>>> a different one?
>>
>> I can't quite follow where the automake magic sets DESTDIR but in the
>> main Makefile I certainly have:
>>
>>   # The default location for installation.  Everything is placed in
>>   # subdirectories of this directory.  The default values for many of
>>   # the variables below are expressed in terms of this one, so you may
>>   # not need to change them.  This defaults to /usr/local.
>>   prefix=/home/alex/src/emacs/install
>>
>> Where is DESTDIR defined during the build?
>
> That is a very good question.

I can't see it set, although LISP and BIN DESTDIRS are set:

  19:58:13 [alex@qemu-test:~/s/e/emacs.git] native-comp|✔ + remake
  remake -C lib all
  remake[1]: Entering directory '/home/alex/src/emacs/emacs.git/lib'
  remake[1]: Nothing to be done for 'all'.
  remake[1]: Leaving directory '/home/alex/src/emacs/emacs.git/lib'
  remake -C lib-src all
  remake[1]: Entering directory '/home/alex/src/emacs/emacs.git/lib-src'
  remake[1]: Nothing to be done for 'all'.
  remake[1]: Leaving directory '/home/alex/src/emacs/emacs.git/lib-src'
  remake -C src VCSWITNESS='$(srcdir)/../.git/logs/HEAD'
BIN_DESTDIR='/home/alex/src/emacs/install/bin/' \

LISP_DESTDIR='/home/alex/src/emacs/install/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/' all
  remake[1]: Entering directory '/home/alex/src/emacs/emacs.git/src'

--
Alex Bennée