Re: Questions about throw-on-input

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Questions about throw-on-input
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 11:45:45 -0400

> Dont' know if it possible for Emacs and how underlaying "lisp
> machine" is constructed. Maybe each thread could have it's own eval.
> But then how would they communicate when they need, since Emacs
> buffers often are used together in some way unlike webpages in a browser.

That's the problem: in the current design of Emacs and Elisp, we can
and do share data between buffers.

In the web-browser, each "tab" is its own virtual-machine, with very
little communication between them and very little sharing.

In Emacs, on the contrary all the functions and the global data defined
by the loaded packages are shared, and additionally to that some of the
buffer-local data is also shared.

        Stefan