Re: An issue with GDI? [Windows]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: An issue with GDI? [Windows]
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 20:38:56 +0300

> From: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 16:53:58 +0200
> Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> By default, master on Windows is using HarfBuzz to display characters, not
> GDI.

That's unrelated.  HarfBuzz is used for shaping complex scripts, but
the basic low-level font APIs are still the same GDI APIs we used
before.  The Uniscribe backend also used/uses them.

> Anyway, Cascadia's changelog says:  " We've changed the typographic metrics a
> bit to align with best
> practices and move away from using legacy Windows GDI values."
>
> And has a link to https://github.com/microsoft/cascadia-code/pull/261  that
> says: "This change modifies the
> font vertical metrics for better consistency cross-platform. Block drawing
> characters adjusted to account for
> new metrics."

And they are still discussing that, since other editors are affected.
I suggest to wait until they decide what to do with this.

In any case, as I said: we don't have any code that accesses font
metrics using APIs different from GDI.  To change that, someone who
knows this stuff will have to write the code, or at least tell us what
APIs to use instead.  Volunteers and suggestions are welcome.