Re: Consistent vanilla Emacs

From: Nicolas P. Rougier
Subject: Re: Consistent vanilla Emacs
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 19:36:34 +0200

Thanks for this feedback, I'll wait until you have looked at the code. In the
meantime, I'll try to separate default color/face settings from other
stuff. Concerning the mode line at the top, it brings all kind of problem (for
example when a mode wants to use the header line) and maybe it's not a good
idea for a new user.

For the font, it would be nice to have a default font shipped with Emacs but I
imagine this will make the binary heavier and you need a font license that is
compatible. The Roboto Mono font I used is licensed under an Apache 2.0 (which
I think is compatible) while, for example, the Fira Code (a nice programming
font) is licensed under a SIL Open Font License. I think it is also compatible
but I'm not quite sure. For this last one, one advantage is that it is a
variable font meaning all the weights are in a single file.

Nicolas