Re: project.el: git submodules?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: project.el: git submodules?
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 22:28:00 +0300

On 12.05.2020 21:33, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:
In my case at least, you're right and my submodule is seriously
confused. It has a .git/ dir which disagrees with the ../.git/modules
one. That's what was causing my problem. I've been doing a lot of work
in that submodule (multiple upstream repos, merges, pushes, etc.) and
perhaps something I did made it create that.

How common do you think is such problem going to be? If it's rare, I'd rather let you fix the local configuration and leave that part of the code in Emacs simple. Unless this comes up again, of course.

Apparently the correct way to do this is "git rev-parse
--show-superproject-working-tree". See
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7359204  for more info. (And in
fact that does work in my case even with my messed-up .git dir in the
submodule.)

Thank you. Any idea which version of Git this was added in first? We'd have to consider that for compatibility with older systems.