Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 17:39:02 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,
>   address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 17:12:54 -0400
>
> Given the context, the above could be understood to mean that you
> consider that developers of MELPA packages are not part of "us" and
> don't develop high-quality software.
>
> I don't think that was your intention, but at the same time I'm not
> completely sure what you wanted to say because I don't see the direct
> connection with copyright assignments for GNU ELPA (which do nothing for
> the quality of software) nor with adding a hypothetical archive like
> MELPA-Libre (or GNU-ELPA-contrib) to our `package-archives`.

MELPA packages are not part of the Emacs project, yes.  As for their
quality, all I'm saying is that we should consider the quality when we
make the decision whether we want a certain package in ELPA.  If the
package being considered is not up to our standards, we should ask the
developer to make the necessary changes.  Like we do with any other
contribution to Emacs.

Copyright assignments are not related to quality, they are related to
our ability to move packages into and out of core without a lot of
fuss.