Re: Tracking buffer positions across time, without markers (was Re: PL s

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Tracking buffer positions across time, without markers (was Re: PL support)
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 17:24:06 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 16:52:23 -0400
>
> My use case is not fontification, it's showing errors and hints from a
> compiler.

Ah, I didn't realize that.  Then something like what Stefan suggested
should be good.  But even before that, I'd suggest to consider using
the two variables Emacs maintains for each buffer: the buffer position
before which there was no change and the buffer position after which
there was no change (given as offset from EOB).  It might be possible
to use these in many cases without relying on more complicated
mechanisms.

> It's not unusual for compilation cycles or checking to take up to a minute

Minutes sounds ... bad.  What takes minutes in these cases?