Re: Tracking buffer positions across time, without markers (was Re: PL s

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Tracking buffer positions across time, without markers (was Re: PL support)
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 23:45:13 -0400

On 09/05/2020 19.26, João Távora wrote:
> This is done with an idle timer, much the way that Flycheck
> works, I believe.

Yup, it's a longstanding issue in Flycheck ^^

> > A bit.  But this works only if the interaction is fast enough, right? (Same
> > for syntax errors: positions may well be outdated by the time the errors
> > come back)

> By that time another request is probably already underway.

As long as the requests are fast.  With slow checkers (typically, proof
assistants and automated reasoning tools, a single query can easily take a
minute — by that point lots can have changed in a buffer.

The APIs that make this work in Visual Studio (spans and snapshots) are
described here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/extensibility/inside-the-editor?view=vs-2019

I'd love to hear opinions on what the proper implementation of this would for
Emacs be.