Re: About multiple spelling in Emacs

From: H. Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: About multiple spelling in Emacs
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 13:28:27 +0200

Hello Colin

Colin Baxter <address@hidden> writes:

>     > But, how? How can I instruct Emacs to use two dictionaries, say
>     > Italian and English?
>
> I use ispell and switch from English to Latin setting a local variable
> ispell-local-dictionary: "latin". If the file, however, has a mixture of
> English and Latin then I use a defun:
>
> #+begin_src elisp
> (defun my-ispell-latin ()
>       "Switch to the Latin dictionary."
>       (interactive)
> ;; Change personal dict - 1st line personal dict must match language (latin)
>       (setq ispell-personal-dictionary "~/.emacs-files/dicts/latin.pws")
>       (ispell-change-dictionary "latin"))
> #+end_src

FYI: I'm using the very same Ispell commands but I've installed Aspell
and have the impression, that Emacs or Aspell - don't know - is changing
automatically the personal dictionary when using ispell-change
dictionary...

> To change back I use another defun for the next language, written in
> exactly the same way. Ok, I know, my method is crude, sort of cargo cult
> programming, but it works for me.

I think the above is working for larger language blocks but is not so
good for interspersed texts in another language.

As Eli mentioned already multiple language checking should work with
Hunspell under Emacs.  I didn't yet convert to Hunspell but maybe the
following link will help you to set it up:

https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/21378/spell-check-with-multiple-dictionaries

        Dieter

--
Best wishes