Re: About multiple spelling in Emacs

From: Colin Baxter
Subject: Re: About multiple spelling in Emacs
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 12:00:15 +0100

Hello Angelo,

    >> Il 10 maggio 2020 alle 18.08 Eli Zaretskii ha scritto:
    >>

    >> > Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 17:51:50 +0200 (CEST) > From: Angelo
    >> Graziosi
    >> >
    >> > I see that some browser allow for spelling in two languages
    >> (say > italian and english). Can we do the same in Emacs? How?
    >>
    >> You mean, spell-checking text that mixes 2 languages?  That's
    >> possible with Hunspell, yes.

    > But, how? How can I instruct Emacs to use two dictionaries, say
    > Italian and English?

I use ispell and switch from English to Latin setting a local variable
ispell-local-dictionary: "latin". If the file, however, has a mixture of
English and Latin then I use a defun:

#+begin_src elisp
(defun my-ispell-latin ()
      "Switch to the Latin dictionary."
      (interactive)
;; Change personal dict - 1st line personal dict must match language (latin)
      (setq ispell-personal-dictionary "~/.emacs-files/dicts/latin.pws")
      (ispell-change-dictionary "latin"))
#+end_src

To change back I use another defun for the next language, written in
exactly the same way. Ok, I know, my method is crude, sort of cargo cult
programming, but it works for me.

Best wishes,

Colin.

Colin Baxter