Re: "Emacs Lisp Packages" chapter in the Emacs manual

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: "Emacs Lisp Packages" chapter in the Emacs manual
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 10:17:12 -0400

> 2) add a reference to "require" in the Features section of the manual in
> building.texi
>
>    To automatically load code that you have installed in the load path,
> you can use `require' in your init file.  *Note Features:
> (elisp)Features. For example, here's how to automatically load the
> features provided by file `feature.el' installed in your load path:
>
>      (require 'feature)

While it can be useful to `require` a file from `.emacs` in particular
cases, it's *usually* a bad idea which will just slow down your startup.
So I don't think we should promote this.

Most packages installed "the old way" have a little blurb in their `;;;
Commentary:` section (or `INSTALL` file or somewhere) which shows what to
add to your `.emacs`.

        Stefan