Re: What capabilities do you wish terminal emulators would report?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: What capabilities do you wish terminal emulators would report?
Date: Fri, 08 May 2020 11:25:06 -0400

> My goal is to collect desires from developers of popular applications. What
> capabilities do you wish you could discover about terminals that you don't
> already get from terminfo?

I think more that "which capabilities should be reported", I'd first
focus on a standard way to enable/disable and query (both presence and
activation status) capabilities.

E.g. it should be safe to enable or disable *any* capability, supported
or not.

> They would likely be exposed through a combination of a new
> environment variable and a to-be-determined control sequence that
> reports them.

>From where I stand, environment variables are the last resort since they
may get lost along the way or may be inherited unwittingly from elsewhere.

        Stefan